Monday 29 October 2012

Rhubarb Crumble Cake.


I knew I would have the share this with you as it's one of the tastiest cakes I've ever made and a great autumn evening treat. I adapted it a bit from this recipe as my cake tins aren't very big and because rhubarb is pretty much heading out of season now. I'm also happy to admit that I cheated a little because it was easier and it was just something simple I wanted to whip up, not a hardcore baking session.




Ingredients:
200g butter
200g caster sugar
200g self-raising flour
2 eggs
1 tsp lemon juice
1 tin of rhubarb
1 packet of crumble mix (easy to make, but just as easy to buy ready-made)
1 tsp brown sugar

These ingredients fit perfectly into an 18cm cake tin.

Directions:
  1. Pre-heat oven to 180°C.
  2. Sift your flour into a bowl and cream in the caster sugar and butter.
  3. Add the eggs - I find that adding one at a time and mixing them in individually makes for a much lighter sponge, which is well-suited to this cake, as well as being something I hope for in most sponges I make.
  4. Add lemon juice and 2-3 tablespoons of the juice from you tin of rhubarb to your sponge and mix well.
  5. Grease cake tin and add your sponge mixture.
  6. Drain your rhubarb well and sprinkle over the top of you sponge.
  7. Cover mixture with the crumble mixture, until you can't see the rhubarb anymore, and sprinkle with brown sugar.
  8. Put in the over for 20-30 minutes or until golden brown and firm to touch.
  9. Leave to cool, remove from tin and serve.
I love the different textures of this cake and hope you enjoy making and eating it as much as I did, it's perfect with custard or just on its own. I basically made this because Moon set me a challenge to after we were talking about how great lemon cake is while we were watching Nigel Slater (famed for his rhubarb & fish combo), I'm pretty glad it turned out the way it did and I hope to make it a few more times as it gets colder.

6 comments:

  1. This looks incredible! There's a farm near me where you can go and pick rhubarb- I feel like I've got a definite incentive to go along now and get some! Winter warmer treat :D xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should so do it! I can't wait to make this again.

      Delete
  2. i saw this on a website not long ago and was dying to make it! what's the difference between this and rhubarb crumble, or are they similar?:)

    i'm having a giveaway, ends halloween! www.happyrebekah.blogspot.co.uk
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should definitely give it a go, it's super easy. It's a not really a crumble at all, it's just got crumble sprinkled on top of sponge, where as a crumble would just be over the fruit. I think this is nicer as there's more texture, but I still like both :)

      Delete
  3. This looks really yummy! I will have to try making this myself! x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like your blog!
    Check out mine sometime if you want :))
    http://aimerose.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Make my day and leave me a comment ♥

You might also like: