Monday 4 February 2013

Peach & Raspberry Cobbler

Here's a peek at last weekend's nomz, I must admit I didn't actually bake anything this weekend because recently I've ended up making far too much for just the two of us - plus Granny Johnston was down for a visit. This stood up pretty well though and was still moist after a fews days but all the juices went into the cake and was a bit mushy so we had to get rid of it in the end.


I used a recipe I found on Fat Mum Slim, she actually calls it a tart but Moon and I decided it was more of a cobbler than a tart or a cake. I was actually pretty chuffed because she mentioned that when she makes it, it always sinks and mine didn't!
I definitely think I'd like to try this again, just either on a smaller scale or when we have more people around to eat it. I've altered the recipe slightly to suit me (see below) just mainly to fit with what I had more than anything else but her recipe is super easy to follow too.


I got these frozen raspberries from Sainbury's where it's 2 bags for £4. I usually find raspberries are very expensive so these are a winner for me, I used the ones leftover from this recipe to put in ReadyBrek for the rest of the week, yum!


Lovely Lidl provided the peaches, a huge tin for a purse-friendly 80p and they're really nice on their own. I whipped up a tasty fruit salad later in the week and used the syrup, it was really good.

Ingredients:
  • 125g softened butter
  • 1 cup caster sugar
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 2 eggs
  • 1½ cups of self-raising flour
  • 4 peaches - cut into segments, but this was because the tinned peaches I had were whole but quite small
  • 150g frozen raspberries - honestly I didn't measure these and just used what I had left though, which was about a third of a bag.






Method:
  • Preheat the oven to 160° and grease a cake tin (mine is around 18cm).
  • Combine butter, sugar and vanilla. Beat with an electric mixer until light and creamy.
  • Add in the eggs and beat after each addition.
  • Fold in flour until combined.
  • Pour the mixture into the tin and sprinkle the top with fruit.
  • Place in the oven and cook for one hour.






It was a little weird baking a cake for a whole hour but it had the nicest crunchy top and it all went so well together. I'd definitely recommend it with custard for a tasty winter pudding.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Make my day and leave me a comment ♥

You might also like: