Tuesday 3 June 2014

Film Club | May


May feels like it was such a long month, I can't believe how much it feels like time has passed since watching last month's first film. I think I was feeling a lot more inspired this month and made a little more time for movies. I guess because I was trying to catch up with Awards Season back in January, it just felt a bit like I had peaked, then again, quality over quantity and this is certainly a slightly better selection than last month.


  1. Dear Zachary: A Letter to a Son About His Father
  2. Frozen
  3. Open Grave
  4. Mr. Nobody

  1. Godzilla*
  2. The Monuments Men
  3. Oculus
  4. Devil's Knot

  1. The Station Agent
  2. Funny Games US
  3. Oblivion

Most Favourite: Dear Zachary: A Letter to a Son About His Father This might just be one of the best documentaries I've ever seen and I've been telling just about anyone who'll listen about it. I really urge you to give it a go, it's sad but powerful and demonstrates how truly strong and incredible people can be.
Second Favourite: Open Grave: This is one of those films that I wish, wish wish had a better title, because come on, its title is lame, which is a shame when everything else about is not. It's an amazing twist on the whole 'viral zombie genre' and Sharlto Copley really kills it, there are also quite a few really good twists.

Lesser Favourite: The Station Agent: You know when you like an actor so you seek out what they've been in? In this case IMDB made this mistake, yes I like Game of Thrones, yes I like Peter Dinklage in In Bruges but this film is just not good. It's so slow and boring and Tyrion spends the whole film looking mopey. It's not the worst but it's far from enjoyable.
Least Favourite: Mr Nobody: If length alone were a signal of a bad film, there would be fewer films, this one can go in the bin regardless. I guess it's a film about alternate realities and endless possibilities but given that you're never told where you actually are (maybe you are I didn't stick it out until the end), it's just two and a half hours of darting back and forth. Plus, Jared Leto in old-man-make up, anybody in old-man-make up.

I still feel like I've been a bit dominated by TV, when I really do think I prefer watching films. I have a film night planned with my sister on Friday though so that should bring a few to add to the list. How can I stick to just movies though when, omg, have you seen the latest Game of Thrones, it's been almost a whole day and I'm still reeling. I think by proper summer though most of the shows I love will have wrapped up - Orange is the New Black is back soon though - so I might have a little less choice.

What do you think? Do you feel more invested in television series sometimes?

Look Back –
Film Club | January
Film Club | February
Film Club | March
Film Club | April

You can also follow along: here


No comments:

Post a Comment

Make my day and leave me a comment ♥

You might also like: