Friday 21 November 2014

Fast Banjos.

Moon and I have very much been on the live music wagon in the last couple of months, but Sunday's Trampled by Turtles gig marked our last definite 'date in the diary' until February.

After agreeing to come and see Eliza and the Bear with me back in September, I was slightly obligated to agree to see a band I hadn't heard of as well.

Trampled by Turtles, to me at least, are probably a band that might not get on with the popularity of Mumford & Sons (at least ever so slightly), but they're also a real mish-mash of guys just hanging out, playing really fast country music. They didn't set my world on fire but they sounded really good and a gig in Bristol is always a treat, even more so when it's on a boat.


Thekla is a boat that calls Bristol Docks its home, it doesn't even feel like you're on a boat once you're inside with the only clues being the subtle interior design nods but I kind of like that. It looks so pretty when it's lit up and to add to that, it even offers one of the cheapest most affordable parking spots in the whole city.



The support for the evening were Dirty Beggars, a bluegrass band from the centre of Scotland - yep! While I spent a lot of their set concentrating on how much their harmonicist looks a lot like ultimate frontman, Ricky Wilson, they were actually a whole lot of fun, with an array of nice folksy songs including a great one about chicken (sort of).











It was a nice way to spend the evening and funny to see Moon so excited as he's wanted to see Trampled by Turtles for ages. All this has meant that I've spent most of this week catching up on sleep but it's quite good to know Bristol isn't that far away. Must make an effort to pop over there more often!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Make my day and leave me a comment ♥

You might also like: