Monday 10 November 2014

Film Club | October


October felt like the longest month, probably because of all the changes swirling around but I still managed to squeeze in a few films with this month being a bit more related to my choosing and films Moon wouldn't watch with me since we spent a bit more time apart than usual.

It has felt a bit like my selections have been getting smaller and smaller but I'm quite pleased to see that I might at least make it to the 100-mark before the year is out.

  1. Obvious Child
  2. Maps to the Stars
  3. What If
  4. The ABCs of Death

  1. Boyhood
  2. Lilting
  3. Lucy

Most Favourite: Obvious Child — It's strange that such a thing as an 'abortion comedy' can exist but Obvious Child really pulled it off. At it's heart it's a sweet story about a girl who has pretty much every aspect of her life go wrong at the same time on top of finding out that she's pregnant. I found it a pretty honest portrayal of the emotional situation the main character, played by the adorable Jenny Slate, found herself in and with abortion not being something that's affected me, I can definitely relate to having 'one of those weeks'. As well as being cute, fresh and funny, the leading man is, without meaning to sound lame, hella cute like omg, I could smoosh his face!

Least Favourite: The ABCs of Death — For some reason or another this popped under my radar and a fan of the ever-so-similar VHS franchise, I figured it might be worth a watch. The premise of the film is to assign 26 film makers a letter where they pick a theme surrounding death and go with it. Some of them are funny, some of them are vile but the whole film is pretty darn awful. I don't think it came together that well at all and with some of the films getting more screen time than others there was often too little time to explain what you'd actually just witnessed (there's one with furries, urgh). I hear their making a sequel, but I think that sounds like something to avoid.

Honourable Mention: Boyhood – Boyhood has been the most hyped film I've watch pretty much all year post-awards season, and actually I think that's what ruined it for me. The best part was seeing Richard Linklater really honour his craft and put love into this project, it's so evident in almost every shot but the story just didn't get there for me. I love that due to the time span of 10 years, we're treated to pop-culture references throughout but the actual 'boy' kind of emerges to be a bit lame and I found myself really not caring what happened to him, maybe it's just me though. It's a pretty hefty watch at almost 3 hours long and I'm glad I stuck it out to find out what the fuss was about but it just is what it is and I can't find myself getting excited by it.

Look Back –
Film Club | January
Film Club | February
Film Club | March
Film Club | April
Film Club | May
Film Club | June
Film Club | July
Film Club | August
Film Club | September

You can also follow along on Pinterest.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Make my day and leave me a comment ♥

You might also like: