Monday 8 March 2010

Oh, heyaz Andy(!)

I have a proper idea, I am amazed with myself.
I may have mentioned I was going to focus on Andy and his weight loss - this has expanded, I am not focussing on male body issues and whether there is really a problem.
Due to the images I am shooting culminating in an editorial piece, it is important to note that whilst creativity is a key dimension within editorial photography, within certain magazines, it can be the written content that is important. So for my images, I will be focussing on classic lighting which will remain the focal point of creativity within my images against the innovation of the posing/makeup/costume etc.

Today I did a test shoot with Andy, who had already agreed to help me out anyway.
I had to do it at home because the studio is booked almost solidly and the only time I could get when I booked it was Thursday 18th at 2pm, which in terms of now is ages away. Some of these did turn out ok though.




© Ruth Johnston 2010

I want my images to demonstrate the normality of my model's bodies, with the accompanying text elevating how they are perceived. From talking with men since the beginning of the overall project as well as keeping a pulse on male magazines and infotainment programmes, there seems to be an increase in the amount of men who have certain issues with their body, however small, this contrasts greatly with the man of a few years ago who was a 'right geeza' - now even Nuts tells you how to dress.
The buzz-word 'manorexia' has been thrown around and there has been an increase in male body dysmorphia, but that isn't really what this project is about, it's about normality and how normal guys feel about these emerging problems.

I personally think the concept is quite solid, I just need some visual research and more photographs. Work, work, WORK!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Make my day and leave me a comment ♥

You might also like: