Wednesday 28 May 2014

Recipe: Passionfruit Meringue Pie


This recipe is a bit of a lie. It's not a proper meringue pie, I guess you could call it a meringue cheesecake really but it was really delicious. The actual recipe is kind of different to how I actually did it, purely because I made a bit of a boob of it and put all the meringue ingredients in together without thinking - it still worked, it was just a bit stupid (and took around 20 minutes of whisking).

I adapted it slightly from a recipe I found on Drizzle and Drip, I might be following it a bit more to the letter next time!


It all started with me finding this beautiful passionfruit curd from Thursday Cottage while visiting Hare Hatch Sheeplands for work a few weeks ago. I figured it couldn't be that different from lemon curd and it wasn't, plus passionfruit anything usually has my full attention.





Ingredients:
  • 1 x Jar of Passionfruit Curd
  • 100g Gingernut biscuits
  • 50g Butter
  • 1 x Passionfruit (optional)
  • 2 x Egg whites
  • 200g Caster sugar
  • 60ml Boiling water
  • 1 tsp Vanilla extract
Method:
  1. Crush your gingernut biscuits and combine with melted butter, add and press down into your dish and leave to chill in the fridge while you prepare the rest
  2. Boil your water and once boiled add to your sugar and mix well
  3. Whisk your egg whites into stiff peaks and slowly whisk in your sugar solution along with the vanilla extract until combined
  4. Spoon the passionfruit curd over your biscuit base and add the meringue mixture
  5. Place your pie under the grill at 180°C - you could also use a blow torch - for 10-15 minutes or until caramelised
  6. Optional: Cut a passionfruit in half, scoop out the pulp and use to decorate your meringue





No comments:

Post a Comment

Make my day and leave me a comment ♥

You might also like: