Friday 8 August 2014

Film Club | July


I actually made it into double-digits for the first time in ages, I'm pretty pleased with that. I mean, put it down to July being a bit of a long month and lack of funds, but still... quite a mixed bag of films were seen and none that I really thought were unbearable, so I'd say July has been quite a good month for films really.


  1. Bad Words
  2. Twenty Feet from Stardom
  3. The Raid
  4. Dazed and Confused
  5. Mud


  1. Welcome to the Punch
  2. The Secret Life of Walter Mitty
  3. Video Games: The Movie
  4. The Silence (Das letzte Schweigen)
  5. Good Luck Chuck


  1. Mr. Jones
  2. Deep in the Darkness
  3. Dawn of the Planet of the Apes

Most Favourite: The Silence: As much as it was a gritty, crime-murder thriller drama, it sure was shot beautifully. After spending the first half of the evening reading a ton of scary stories on Thought Catalog, this may have not been the best choice but it did give me chills and the story was solid. It is German so if you're not 'into subtitles' and are one of those people then you probably won't like it but as crime thriller dramas go, this really is a hidden gem.

Second Favourite: Mud: I think it's pretty undeniable that Matthew McConaughey is having the year of his career. After being swayed by the poster for Mud and later having it recommended to me, I figured it was worth giving a go. Don't get me wrong, the McConaughey is great in it and deserves recognition for his teeth alone but the actual story of the film and sense of adventure are what really made it for me.

Less Favourite: Mr. Jones: This film actually started off pretty strongly and had a really good grasp of how people feel when they read Creepy Pasta. I kind of went into it thinking it would be a bit 'Slender Man' and expecting a big scare. I guess I kind of got that, but then it went off on a ridiculous tangent that ruined the whole film and turned it into something unenjoyable. On top of the silly tangent, the last 20 minutes of the film are virtually impossible to see due to how dark it is and the shakiness of the camera - it's not atmospheric, it's stupid.

Least Favourite: Deep in the Darkness: There had to be at least one bad horror film in there that was a total waste of time, come on, it's me! The scary bits were kind of scary I suppose, but there were so many script problems and that twist. Sometimes it's a bad idea to get swayed by posters, must admit though, now I know what the film's about it's pretty accurate.

Look Back –
Film Club | January
Film Club | February
Film Club | March
Film Club | April
Film Club | May
Film Club | June

You can also follow along on Pinterest.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Make my day and leave me a comment ♥

You might also like: