Thursday 14 August 2014

Ypres Excursion.


I'm not sure that our excursion to Ypres would have been any less poignant had we visited at any other time, but the fact that it coincided with the anniversary of the beginning of the First World War just one day after there had been so many tributes in remembrance, made the air a little heavier.




Admittedly I don't know much about the First World War and don't know of any relatives that were involved but it didn't make the trip any less moving or interesting. The visit to the town of Ypres was kind of staggering given that it was completely destroyed and was rebuilt from paintings and photographs as reference. We didn't stop off at the Flanders Museum as after visiting Tyne Cot cemetery and Hill 62 though as we all felt a bit overwhelmed.





I'm afraid these photographs are a phone job as I had a bit of a battery problem with my J1 in the morning. I think it's served pretty well though even if the pictures have come up a bit skinny.










Gran had a raw beef sandwich when we stopped for lunch, didn't sit well with me but she said it was tasty.


The Menin Gate.


Kind of a shame that the main square had been taken over by fairground rides (that no one was even using) that day. It would have been good to get a proper picture of the rebuilt Cloth Factory.





Rich in recent history, and a pretty town, Ypres was worth the trip both thanks to the beautiful weather and the timing of our visit. I believe lots of events relating to the First World War centenary are coming up across the next few years if you were planning a trip to Belgium at any point.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Make my day and leave me a comment ♥

You might also like: