Monday 26 October 2009

"What about me?"

Bed.
Beds are used as places of comfort and sanctuary, as a place to relax and rest. Everybody loves to sleep, relax, have sex, be lazy, cuddle up, be warm and all other things that come with the bed as a space. So what about whoever owned this bed? Where do they have now? And what will the bed do now without anyone to love it? It probably doesn't matter, it's just something else that needed an upgrade anyway.

Day Three:


Day Four:

© All images, Ruth Johnston 2009

This bed has been sitting outside for days and days. It looks so sad and rubbish. I'm looking at it for the spaces part of my Documentary Practices brief. I've sort of abandoned the panoramic idea, after looking at the catalogues for previous exhibitions and seeing it would be a major inconvenience to everyone. But I'm still kind of looking at the abandoned space. But more turned it into 'the abandoned thing'. I've changed the idea to be more about human presence within objects and how it effects the way we read them, rather than human presence in vast spaces - I mean the only way the previous ideas would really be experienced would be in an exhibition context, which is fine but when it has to fit all manner of other mediums, it begins to become a bit tricky. This is better though, and I can accompany it with text, which I wanted to do but was finding harder with the panoramas.
Does seem like I've thrown it together but the progression is kind of visible, hopefully. Well, I have a tutorial tomorrow so I guess I'll get some advice then.
One week to go and then I can focus documentary practices on anything. Going to write letters to some big department stores and photograph the shoppers (if I get permission), I want to do Ikea (Martin Parr inspired), either that or binge drinking - there are plenty of articles for research and Portsmouth is a great place to focus on - and it can carry on from my abysmal effort for Text & The Photographic Image, last semester.
Definitely not going to go the Nan Goldin route whatever I decide, can't match it and no one else can either. I'll update on how many people choose her style once we get Brief 2.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Make my day and leave me a comment ♥

You might also like: