Monday 28 December 2009

3D is awesome.

Just come back from seeing Avatar, which undoubtedly everyone has heard of.

It's as brilliant as everyone says. I can't really say much about it without ruining it but the 2h42m is definitely worth the bum-numbing.
There is great integration of 3D technology and the storyline, unlike previous 3D movies I've seen which often substitute storyline with obvious 3D effects. It does sneak one obvious one in there but by that point, everything is so mind-blowing that it's just a minor reference to bygone tacky 3D.
I recommend it to everyone and it's a deserved film of the decade - too bad it's come out right at the very end. But I don't think it's going anywhere obscure for a while.

It's just a shame that when it comes out on DVD that everyone will have to watch it with those horrible red-and-blue specs, although who knows, there could be an exception on the horizon - I hope so, this is the film that 3D came back into vogue for.
I wish that someone could explain the difference in technology to me. All I see without the 3D glasses in the cinema is blurry lines, not the usual red-blue-green that you get at home. I guess I'll just sit in anticipation for that one.
Surely with the emergence of 3D SkyTV, the crappy glasses are gone for good?

On top of how good that Avatar actually was, it also relates to my Issues in Contemporary Media essay. Was happy when it did, it was interesting how my brain processed it all, now I've informed myself so much about disability in the media. It does have a restrictive - in terms of disability - ending, but unless it's an issue that is particularly close to home, I doubt many people would see it as that significant. It is also slightly perturbing that the lead actor is able-bodied when his character isn't, but again unless you are part of a disability activist movement, it won't be that important to you.
I can't say much else without giving anything away, but I definitely give it a 10 out of 10 - even letting go that the reason for the action in the film is the substance 'unobtainium'.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Make my day and leave me a comment ♥

You might also like: