Wednesday 14 December 2011

Wednesday Wonders.

Hello!
I've been feeling very out of sync recently and not really up for much. I've not taken any photographs since coming back from Cornwall really and I haven't been sleeping very well. I guess it's a combination of bewilderment over Christmas and the shopping experience and having to get people gifts, as well as the prospect of once again facing the Jobcentre twice a week for the foreseeable future. Perhaps one positive thing being that I can get back onto the job hunt wagon, but ideally it is not where I want to be and I'd much rather have a job than be looking for one.
I've done a bit of networking and I'm scouting out new things all the time so it isn't as though things have dried up yet, it's just that it would seem that I still don't have enough experience I can't really remember how to prove myself.

Anyway, enough of the doom and gloom, it's Christmas soon and it's a time for overall merriment. Moon and I are heading down to the Isle of Wight on Saturday for a reunion with all our University friends, which will be nice as everyone will be able to make it, I just hope I can pep myself up before then.

The last week or so has seen a lot about retrospectives, with many websites posting their 'best of 2011' lists and images from the year. My favourite compilation so far however, is a video by filmmaker, Barry Pilling. I've been following Barry's work in stop-animation for a little while now and you should definitely check out his Youtube because it's pretty neat. I felt this video was particularly powerful, it's almost easy to forget that all of this happened in the last twelve months.
*contains some graphic imagery*

You may remember a little while ago when I did my Keep Calm and Carry On post, that I mentioned a little shop on Etsy called 'Keep Calm Arsenal' that produces numerous parody, and actually quite good prints. Well, the subject came up today and I went back to the shop, which is sadly closed for the holidays, I did however discover that 'Keep Calm Arsenal' is part of a bigger network, Stay Gold Media. Stay Gold Media also has a variety of beautiful artwork for sale on Etsy and an awesome blog showing it all off, and it's so reasonably priced!

'Imagine, John Lennon Vintage Dictionary Print', 8x10, £4.63
'Forest Life Art', 8x8, £6.61

Following on (yes, another follow-up) from the wrapped trees from the series, 'Bound' by Phillipa Lawrence featured in a post from a couple of weeks ago. I recently encountered this stunning series by Zander Olsen, playing with nature and visible lines in the horizon. It's such a simple idea but works really well, I'm also intrigued by the fact that this series was created in Surrey, as well as Hampshire and Wales, but where in Surrey?

(Tree, Line - Zander Olsen via PetaPixel)

(The Maccabees, © Louise Haywood-Schiefer)

I'm unsure as to whether I have much else to say, but I thought it had been a while since my last post and my tabs were looking a bit clogged.

Other things I like this week:
  • The three-part Channel 4 return of Shane Meadows brainchild 'This is England' in the form of This is England '88'; love the fashion, the history and the story, I am hoping that poor Woody gets a break though.
  • Charlie Brooker's Black Mirror; I still haven't got around to watching the first one, but Sunday's was brilliant, can't wait for the final instalment.
  • Buzzfeed's 45 of the Most Powerful Images from 2011
  • The National Geographic Photography Contest 2011; There are too many good images to choose from, I really like this one, but I also like this one, and they're completely different, whoever is judging these has one hell of a job!
  • This week's episode of The Simpsons was amazing!
  • Christmas Nails; These are my favourites I've seen so far but one of my current favourite Tumblr, The Illustrated Nail is coming up with new things all the time. My WAH nail pens have kind of died right now but I'm holding out for some new ones for Christmas, my lack of inspiration has sadly spread to my fingernails.
  • These shoes from ASOS

  • Things I must do by the end of the week (Friday):
  • Practice driving theory
  • Edit my Cornwall video
  • Stop putting off doing my portfolio, really, it's looking pretty sad right now.
  • 1 comment:

    1. Wow that video! Puts things in perspective doesn't it?!

      Makes me feel a bit ridiculous doing this now, but if you have some spare time, I tagged you in my most recent post (http://hannahcurson.blogspot.com/2011/12/blog-blog-blog-me.html) just a bit of fun! ;)

      ReplyDelete

    Make my day and leave me a comment ♥

    You might also like: