Monday 1 August 2011

Ocean Park.

I don't think that I've visited Ocean Park since 1997, which would have been my first and only time anyway. Undoubtedly I should expect that more than a lot has changed since then. I believe that this previous visit would have been in October as well, when it would have been much cooler, I'm looking pretty red in the face from this evening as it goes, because guess who forgot to pack suncream?

Today was probably the first day that I have been outside for the whole day. It's not something that I would recommend in the height of summer in Hong Kong, especially in an environment like a theme park. Queueing is the most un-fun thing to be done in life, ever, in 32°C heat, it seems oh so much worse. My sister and I just went on our own today as it was far too much walking for my mum and most the park is situated on the side of a mountain,not to mention the fact that she isn't interested in rides either, not that we went for the rides. Excluding the cable-car, we only managed one rollercoaster; had I had my way and had the park been empty, we would definitely have rode both water rides that the park has to offer, but it's the summer holidays here and while I wouldn't say the park was that busy, it all comes back to that 'so much effort' issue.

To be perfectly honest, I was happy with just seeing the pandas and going on the cable-car - the most quiet place I have been since coming to Hong Kong, it felt so surreal. We also took in Ocean Park's dolphin show, 'Sea Dreams'. I did enjoy it but I am torn since being so horrified by The Cove last year, it's hard to sort my views out. I just really do hope that these animals are treated well, from what I could see the pandas were, so I don't see why any other animals should be much different. The fact that Ocean Park has won numerous conservation prizes also works in their favour, so until I hear otherwise, I'm pretty much on their side.
We rounded up the day with a meal at 'Neptune's Restaurant', a restaurant situated within the aquarium so you can look over to the 'grand aquarium' and watch rays and sharks while you eat. It was lovely and a pleasant dining experience, although slightly pricey considering we only had 'afternoon tea' and it wasn't even that substantial. It was so wonderful and cool in there, and having had 'mocktails' to accompany my meal, I actually began to feel cold (This was of course immediately shattered the moment the door to outside opened)!















I took a few videos, they do bother me slightly though because my sister just talks and talks and talks right through them, although the one on the cable car is quite nice.



Flickr set
Another busy few days, I'm predicting much less time/want for sitting around typing when I get home, although I'm quite nosey so, despite the fact that it's a bit annoying, out of compulsion, I will probably be able to find some time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Make my day and leave me a comment ♥

You might also like: