Thursday 18 August 2011

'Graduate Nightmare'.

If you follow me on Twitter, you will know that my current 'most talked about' topic is my ongoing job hunt. Hashtagging and talking about it generally has struck me up many conversations over Twitter as well as got me a couple of potential (but eventually unsuccessful) job offers.

Today I signed up for my first real-life recruitment agency since graduating in July and beginning my serious job hunt in May. I have been with a recruitment agency before, but only for temp work over the summer after the first year of University and it was only to earn a bit of extra cash, not to find a real-life serious job. It is looking as though this recruitment agency is going to be a similar case to the one I faced all those years ago. While it's nice to have a bit of extra money, I don't want to do catering and basic admin for the rest of my life, and I'm not really sure why I was told to come in if they didn't have any relevant jobs for me, they must have read my cover letter and CV before inviting me in?

I'm waiting on hearing back from another recruitment agency in a few days and have a prospective meeting with another one some time before I go away. When talking about this on Twitter, the response was 'Post-Grad hell', and it's probably a correct statement. It's becoming more and more disheartening as the time goes on. I feel like I'm definitely going to have to put my wants and wishes on hold and have to settle, for a stable job in recruitment or sales, not that I believe I would be competent in either role.

I have also discovered that all is not lost when it comes to my current 'Jobseekers' position, I can re-apply any time between when I went away and six months, meaning I can probably get back on it with no issues when I come back from France. It really upsets me that doing Jobseekers properly is kind of engaging me.
Things may be looking up slightly but only just, I contacted a Digital Media agency and they may have some graduate roles that are appropriate for me. I just really hope I get a response because I'm really interested in that area and to stay away from generic recruitment jobs and to be more specific to what I actually want is so much more appealing.
I suppose that I'm just feeling really worn down, particularly after the rejection I faced from a role I was really excited about. It should all be fine. I personally don't think the fact that I took a Photography degree is limiting, people do realise that degrees generally are quite academic, do they not? I'm a bit of a clever clogs, you know.

Here is what I wore to my sign-up 'interview' this morning, although I shouldn't really have bothered because it was pretty casual really. I'm off to a family party this afternoon, where I can discuss my failing job hunt and how difficult everything is. I'm not really as down as what I'm writing makes me seem, just frustrated. I want to be a real grown up.

Cardigan: H&M (borrowed from my sister)
Shirt: H&M
Belt: Dorothy Perkins (w/ dress)
Skirt: Dorothy Perkins
Tights: Primark
Shoes: New Look



Cardigan: H&M
Shirt: Dorothy Perkins
Trousers: New Look (love them, picked them up yesterday as final birthday gift to myself)
Shoes: Converse

Sorry these are just on my phone, the last few days have exerted a lot of energy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Make my day and leave me a comment ♥

You might also like: