Monday 2 November 2009

Cuddle. Relax. Sleep.

This series is called, 'Cuddle. Relax. Sleep', this relates to things we do in bed as well as the functions that this bed can no longer carry out.

I came across this bed while walking back to my house. I liked how it was just there and had been abandoned - I almost felt sorry for it.
This bed is no longer a bed, it's just a piece of rubbish. Beds are designed for intimacy and relaxation, the side of the road fulfills neither of these roles and neither does this bed.

There are seven images in this series to replicate a week. I have titled the images as spaced out in time to make the period seem longer over the images. The bed has been in the same place for 12 days so far.


Day 1, 5:00pm.

Day 3, 2:00pm.

Day 4, 12:00pm.

Day 6, 4:36pm.

Day 7, 6:00pm.

Day 7/8, 1:12am.

Day 9, 8:00am.

Main Influences:
Martin Parr: looking at the ordinary and it's significance over time.
Salva Lopez: the loneliness of empty spaces.
Richard Wentworth: the throwaway society and the burden of living in an over-crowded world of mass-produced objects. As well as our failure to look at the ordinary and see it as extraordinary.
Charlotte Cotton - The Photograph as Contemporary Art: Chapter 4 'Something and nothing': how photographing everyday items alters their concept and our perception and how still-life photography makes the audience question the subject of the image rather than the practitioner's technique.

I feel quite sickeningly 'modern art'.
Day 7/8 is going in my exhibition.
All images, Ruth Johnston 2009©

No comments:

Post a Comment

Make my day and leave me a comment ♥

You might also like: