Thursday 10 June 2010

Float your own boat.

Moon and I went to have a look at the graduate exhibitions currently showing in the Eldon Building in Portsmouth. Naturally it was all a trip mainly to look at how the Photography graduate's work turned out, it's all to such a high standard, I don't know how we're going to pull it off this time next year, but then I guess that's why they're graduating this year and we've only just finished our second year. The amount of bickering that took place for the last exhibition was unbelievable, hopefully people will be better at settling their differences next time around.
The Photography degree show is called 'Wide Eyes', like I mentioned I think a serious amount of skill went into producing these images and the exhibition really comes together despite the diverse amount of subject matter on show. I went ahead and bought the catalogue and everything. One criticism I would have would be the layout of the show as it's weirdly spread all around the building and some of the work is really far apart, but it's not really the fault of the graduates as it probably was the best that they could work with, the only reason I am mentioning it is that due to the odd layout, some of the work is quite easy to miss if you're idly walking around and not completely paying attention.


This is the inside of the catalogue, I didn't actually take any photographs of the show, not for any particular reason, I was just too busy looking to really think about it. This piece by Adam Gilbert-Anderson was probably my favourite of the show, the way it was displayed was also how I hope to display one of my major projects next year, so it was a big help. The image below also got featured as a commended image on theprintspace gallery's monthly competition, I think the whole piece was really effective, particularly the ticking clock, it actually drove Moon mad. The video piece can be found on his blog along with other work, which is also really interesting.



There really are some great storytellers among this lot, a pretty useful tool to have if you want to more than a photographer's assistant.



© Faye Wears

This is another piece that I really liked, the lines you see are light trails of planes, very interesting, also, I found the below video today and it kind of reminded me of it, two more examples of simple ideas working well.

Flight Patterns, © Charlie McCarthy via Public School

I might see if I can get to the show in London to see how it differs from the one here, the photographs are great so with a better exhibition layout they could look even better.

I also saw this suitcase of tea as part of the Collective exhibition also on at Eldon, the other pieces are really interesting, once again, I wish I'd photographed more to show, but I was concentrating, I don't even know who it's by, but it's great.

After all of that, we then went to the Portsmouth City Museum. It's not so great, but it was free, and at least I can say that I've been now, even if none of the exhibitions interested me. Well, apart from the one about 'hey day' Southsea, but that could have been done a lot better. Sorry, Portsmouth City Museum, but at least you're better than Portsmouth Natural History Museum.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Make my day and leave me a comment ♥

You might also like: