Tuesday 11 October 2011

Channel 4 Battlefront presents: Ready 4 Work.

Aside from needing to not being on the internet to preserve my sanity, if you happened to be wondering, another reason that I have been a bit MIA over the last few days is because yesterday I took part in T4 Battlefront: Ready 4 Work's Walk 4 Work campaign.
I'm just above the 'R' in 'FOR'.
Photo credit: Channel 4

Ready 4 Work is a campaign under Channel 4's online and television project, Battlefront. The campaign seeks to give a voice to NEETs (Not in Education, Employment or Training) aged 18-25, to prove we're not lazy and we're willing to make a pro-active difference in our job hunt.
The Walk 4 Work part was an act to further demonstrate Ready 4 Work's message, head campaigners Joseph and Hafsah want to make a dent in the 973,000 figure placed upon youth unemployment.







It was a really interesting experience, learning about the work that goes into the production of a television programme, as well as hearing everybody's different stories. I think I might even be on telly, so that will be fun. My star-status is already on the rise (jk), with a headshot and quote in The Independent today. I think it's a very important message though and I would love to do something similar again, standing nose-to-back with Charlie Simpson is just oh too exciting.



My face wasn't in the Metro but I did get a whole three sentences in The Independent so...

The march ended at the Houses of Parliament where Joseph and Hafsah went in to talk to the employment minister, Chris Grayling. Grayling was in full support of the campaign and has promised to get the Job Centre to work alongside Battlefront to create 1000 work placements (source).
I think that the whole day helped to make me feel as though not being the only one isn't a negative thing, and I learnt that everyone hates the Job Centre, everyone. I think we were creating a lot of positive attention while walking on the streets as well so it's quite exciting really and what's been written today about the campaign only adds to the value of the message.
I also got a free bowler hat, t-shirt and pin out of it so if nothing else but the photos I'm sharing with you now, I will also have physical objects to always remember the day I Walked 4 Work.




To find out more about Ready 4 Work as well as additional campaigns run by Battlefront, please visit the Battlefront website.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Make my day and leave me a comment ♥

You might also like: