Sunday 2 October 2011

630: Drive.

What a way to round up a weekend (pre-X factor, of course).


I'm fairly gobsmacked, I have no idea what I was expecting because all I had in my mind when deciding to watch it is: 'OMG it looks so nice' and ;Ryan Gosling is in it'. I really wasn't expecting Drive to be as good as it was.

(Excusing myself in advance) The cinematography of this movie is absolutely jizz-worthy and I don't care how many or how few people on Tumblr agree with me, it actually is. The film is beautifully lit and shot, with a great grasp on scale and depth. Can you tell that I loved it?

Although I, like many, do have a slight crush on Ryan Gosling, there is no doubt in my mind - not that there was before - that this guy can really act. With the most minuscule facial movement or change in body language he is able to convey such a quick change in emotion. This is something I noticed previously in Lars and the Real Girl, a completely different, but also brilliant film. So, I really appreciated Gosling as an actor and due to the film being released during 'guaranteed Oscar season', he may be in for a shot.

(Images: Google)

Apparently I love a good gangster movie anyway, but it's more than that, the casting is spot on, Carey Mulligan is both convincing and worthy as the vulnerable love interest and we see a slightly different side to the usually polished Christina Hendricks, but I don't want to give anything away.

The soundtrack is also brillant, flowing really well throughout the film with a brilliant consistency to the visuals as well as sounding good, most importantly. I know what I'll be downloading onto my iTunes next.

I would be surprised if this film isn't Oscar material, and if The Social Network was, this deserves to be. Director, Nicolas Winding Refn has demonstrated in previous success, 'Bronson' that he knows what he's doing, and Drive has taken his craft to the next level.
In short, and I'm aware that the rest of this wasn't, go and see this movie, you need to, it has everything in it to ever make any film work.


Now I can settle down with my much sought after copy of Little White Lies and enjoy it properly.

Other films starring Ryan Gosling that I have seen and liked:
  • The Notebook.

  • Blue Valentine.

  • Lars and the Real Girl

  • All Good Things - Bit weird, but still enjoyable


  • Not Half Nelson, I can see why hipsters love it but I disagree.

    On my list:
  • Crazy. Stupid. Love.

  • The United States of Leland

  • The Believer

  • Fracture
  • 2 comments:

    1. The United States of Leland is dreadful.
      In my opinion..

      And I NEED to see Lars and the Real Girl.

      So glad you liked Drive. Best film I've seen in ages x

      ReplyDelete
    2. You definitely NEED to see Lars and the Real Girl.
      I've heard nothing about United States of Leland, maybe I'll save it for when I want to see something dreadful :)

      ReplyDelete

    Make my day and leave me a comment ♥

    You might also like: