Wednesday 20 July 2011

Disgruntled Jobseeker now apparently seeking Admin work.

Just for the record, I have zero experience in "Admin". I recognise that it is unlikely to be a difficult job, but I would imagine that there are certain procedures you have to go through and certain things that have to be done a certain way. It's one of those jobs that someone has to do but you never really think about it. I am in no way ragging on Admin people, it's a respectable job and it's better than sitting at home and applying for job after job.
I think I could handle being an Admin Assistant, but it isn't my overall goal in life, I mean this in terms of what I would imagine the Job Centre would offer, so many companies that I want to work for offer Admin roles. I'm not sure how I can stress this, I hope you recognise what kind of job I'm talking about here. It's very hard to convey this through writing but, I'm thinking in a certain Slough paper merchants direction.

Photograph: Oli Scarff/GettyI had an interview with the Job Centre today to make a claim for Job Seekers Allowance, it is not something that I am proud of or something that I have the desire to do again. It is unlikely that I will actually be able to "go" on Job Seekers because of all the holidays that I'm going on. However, applying for it is something that I believed to be the right thing to do considering that my current life-goal is to gain employment. This is not something that Job Centre Plus makes particularly easy for you though. I already had to cancel my initial appointment with them due to being down in Portsmouth for Graduation, it appears to be a reasonable explanation, but they still put a little cross by my name.

Now I have to bail on my next appointment due to going to Hong Kong (something that has been planned for months), and will have to restart the whole process again when I come back. Although I understand why this has happened, I think it is incredibly inconvenient, not to mention stupid, due to to the fact that they ask when the applicant is available and take little notice of these dates at all.

The whole experience of having to apply for JSA in the first place, was not something that I wished to take part in, but as I have discovered, jobs don't generally fall in your lap, so a bit of extra money while you're taking the time to apply for several different jobs a day doesn't go a miss — particularly when there are obviously thousands of people cheating the system and gaining the same thing. I feel I must point out how easy it would be to cheat, I don't care because I am a lawful and honest person, but the system is only slightly short of idiotic. No proof needs to physically be provided that the applicant has made headway in seeking employment, all that needs to be done is that the applicant writes down what they have done that week to forward themselves, HANDWRITE IT! This includes telephoning and emailing potential employers as well as reading newspapers and searching online. I was pretty appalled, particularly when in terms of the regulations, there is a lot of bureaucracy to overcome.

What I was most appalled by, and this may not be due to Job Centre Plus overall and could just apply to this particular centre or the individual interviewing me, but the way that they communicate with you is definitely not up to scratch. They throw around a fair amount of 'Job Centre jargon' and do not appreciate it if you deviate from proceedings by asking questions, seriously.
When asked what kind of jobs I was looking for I said, 'Photography', and despite the fact that I have carried out numerous roles as a photographer, this was only my second 'choice' because it wasn't 'realistic' enough. When I composed myself and said perhaps anything media/creative based instead, I was shot down and told that, 'the Job Centre is only interested in getting you into employment and is not looking at the long-term'. And that is where my issue stands right there, although currently Job Seeker's Allowance is a short-term fix, surely them seeking out short-term unambitious roles for me only leads to me returning to receive Job Seekers Allowance again?
So top of my list in terms of 'what I can do' is now Admin, despite not having a clue about the ins and outs of it and having never carried out an Admin role in my life.

So, congratulations Job Centre Plus, you have managed to thoroughly fill me to the brim is pessimism over any chance I have of gaining employment within my discipline, I look forward receiving payments from you in the future. Also, thank you for telling me I would need a CV this afternoon just so I can be practically shouted at to put it away when I suggest that we take a look at it.
There is a very good post on The Guardian talking about how the Job Centre is failing graduates, in case my style isn't up to scratch.

Despite all the angst held within this post, I have actually got an interview tomorrow. It's for a Fashion and Marketing Internship, it's unpaid, but it's only round the corner, so we'll see how that goes. I hope everything starts going up from here because if I have to go back to the Job Centre I will be sad. I also have high hopes riding on another job; I received a rejection email a couple of days ago but have not heard anything from the same company about a different position I applied for on the same day, so it is looking slightly promising. Sorry for posting such a long rant.

TL;DR: Job Centre Plus is just a terrible place with ridiculous bureaucracy and rude staff.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Make my day and leave me a comment ♥

You might also like: